BETA: SciTE v5x & lua Dynamic_include and "Smart" AutoComplete for Vars/UDFs/Abbrevs

Jos

I personally prefer vscode but can understand why many AutoIt developers would stick with SciTE.

I think moving away from SciTE is a good thing, and no matter what replacement is chosen, i suggest making an LSP solution. this would allow vscode and many other editors to work with maybe only a editor specific extension as a wrapper for the main LSP code.

The biggest issue with vscode is platform support and maybe performance. I was "forced" to upgrade my win7 machine to win10, to continue getting updates to my vscode editor... (win7 support was removed in vscode thanks to electron specific changes :()

Removing the editor from AutoIt releases will also reduce the size of downloads a little, something i personally always appreciate :)

I think most, if not all features found in SciTE when working with AutoIt SHOULD be possible to replicate in vscode.

If vscode is chosen, i think my extension is the least likely candidate, since i feel some core principles of my extension may be in another direction than the regular AutoIt editor experience. But i am more than happy to have a chat about it (expectations, features, core principles and such) :)

On 7/29/2024 at 7:33 PM, argumentum said:

With a total of 30 min. of experience with VSCode... I feel like running back to SciTE :lol:

Not sure how "prime time" are those extensions. Again, 30 min. of experience.

@argumentum I'm sorry to hear that, but i understand there my be multiple things you find off-putting, when doing the switch. If my extension is missing features, you are more than welcome to let me know (PM, Topic or GH issue), i do hope to make a good vscode experience for AutoIt developers ;)

Edited by genius257

• Developers
4 hours ago, genius257 said:

Removing the editor from AutoIt releases will also reduce the size of downloads a little, something i personally always appreciate :)

I am only talking about the Full version, not the lite version that is distributed with the AutoIt3 installer and has only basic Edit-Compile-Run capabilities.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

4 hours ago, genius257 said:

i understand there my be multiple things you find off-putting

Don't get me wrong. Am sure that all these are functional. I have no experience with the editor and it works in ways that am not familiar with.
I'll give VSCode a fair trial as soon as I free myself to do so. Then the ways plug-ins operate will surely make sense.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developers
Posted (edited)
On 12/3/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jos said:

Just uploaded SciTEx86.zip & SciTEx64.zip which contain the Latest SciTE 5.4.0 versions. 

Just uploaded SciTEx86.zipSciTEx64.zip which contain the Latest SciTE 5.5.2 versions released today.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Opening up any script is causing this on a clean install (always, every script) -- Editor opens fine without any Script though. I can save a blank script, but as soon as I start typing, it crashes.

[snip]

Edited by donnyh13

LibreOffice UDF  ; Scite4AutoIt Spell-Checker Using LibreOffice

Spoiler

"Life is chiefly made up, not of great sacrifices and wonderful achievements, but of little things. It is oftenest through the little things which seem so unworthy of notice that great good or evil is brought into our lives. It is through our failure to endure the tests that come to us in little things, that the habits are molded, the character misshaped; and when the greater tests come, they find us unready. Only by acting upon principle in the tests of daily life can we acquire power to stand firm and faithful in the most dangerous and most difficult positions."

• Developers
Posted (edited)

Removed post and downloads for now.

... but am not able to replicate the problem and for me SciTE is opening fine.
Did you check that all 3 files are replaced and no other instance of SciTE is open?
Are you using the x86 or x64 version?

tnx for reporting

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Did you check that all 3 files

Yes. I even uninstalled, deleted both Local and Program Files AutoIt Folders, reinstalled, and replaced Scite.exe, Lexilla, and Scintilla files, I'll try again though.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Are you using the x86 or x64 version

I began with x86, but I tried both.

Edit: Just tried again with both x86, and x64. Same result.

Maybe wait and see if other's report a problem, might be a specific problem to me, like that display issue I had a while ago?

Edit 2: Tried to bring up "About Scite" and it crashes too. I'll try the full, plain version of Scite and see if I get it there too. Works fine.😕

Thanks for your work on the release, and the help.

Edited by donnyh13

Spoiler

"Life is chiefly made up, not of great sacrifices and wonderful achievements, but of little things. It is oftenest through the little things which seem so unworthy of notice that great good or evil is brought into our lives. It is through our failure to endure the tests that come to us in little things, that the habits are molded, the character misshaped; and when the greater tests come, they find us unready. Only by acting upon principle in the tests of daily life can we acquire power to stand firm and faithful in the most dangerous and most difficult positions."

3 hours ago, Jos said:

Removed post and downloads for now.

2 hours ago, donnyh13 said:

Edit 2: Tried to bring up "About Scite" and it crashes too. I'll try the full, plain version of Scite and see if I get it there too. Works fine.😕

Tested x86 and x64 in a new PC. All works without any issues. 👍 

• Developers
7 hours ago, argumentum said:

Tested x86 and x64 in a new PC. All works without any issues. 👍 

Just to be sure: You downloaded and tested them before I removed the files?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers
10 hours ago, donnyh13 said:

Any specific settings you are using in the SciTEUser.properties i should test with?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Yes, v5.5.2.0 . I got it right away. After @donnyh13 complain then I installed it.

>"C:\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\AutoIt3\Examples\GUI\SampleControls.au3" /UserParams    
+>19:33:08 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper (pid=4436) 23.402.1150.10 from:SciTE.exe (5.5.2.0)  Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_11/2009  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper
>Running AU3Check (3.3.16.1)  from:C:\AutoIt3  input:C:\AutoIt3\Examples\GUI\SampleControls.au3
+>19:33:08 AU3Check ended. rc:0
>Running:(3.3.16.1):C:\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\AutoIt3\Examples\GUI\SampleControls.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart. --> Press Ctrl+BREAK to Stop.
>
+>19:33:11 AutoIt3 ended. rc:0
+>19:33:11 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.

all good as far as running an example file and checking the "About" window. No crash, all runs.

..tho, I had to look at the dates to make sure ( me, unfamiliar with it ) to overwrite that needed update chronologically.
That would be good to have is all in a single file with x64 and the x86 as a separate download ( or vice-versa ) to simplify installing it.
There hasn't been any changes since January. Might as well packet all in a single ZIP file, with the optional overwrite for the other ( x86 or x64 ) ZIP.

My 2 cents.

• Developers
3 minutes ago, argumentum said:

That would be good to have is all in a single file with x64 and the x86 as a separate download ( or vice-versa ) to simplify installing it.

Which they are...right?

I am lost on what you are trying to tell me here...sorry...  The shown version (5.5.2) is the one I created yesterday and the file creation dates should be yesterdays date.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Yes, the 5.2.2.0 are yesterday's but all others are from before. And if you can name them SciTEx64(v5.5.2).zip and SciTEx86(v5.5.2).zip respectively we know what it is in the ZIP in case they get updated, ... or the build date, something along those lines.
Not a big deal but it'd be better, I think. 

• Developers

Ah ok. I am naming older version with their release, but the latest version is always the same filename without version indication. :) 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

... if the user forgets to unblock the files downloaded containing executable flies, using those files will be a problem even if a warning comes up at the moment the EXE is run and is approved by the user, the DLLs are still blocked. And that could cause such an event as with his crash.
I know this by personal experience. I'm very wise now 😇

@Jos, so, ..are you gonna fiddle with that compile some more or is it good for others to try it out. Haven't seen them back in the beta folder.

• Developers
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, argumentum said:

@Jos, so, ..are you gonna fiddle with that compile some more or is it good for others to try it out. Haven't seen them back in the beta folder.

They will only be back after i have a better idea why a crash could be happening for @donnyh13 and a fix for that. The fiddling can only happen when i know what to fiddle with.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

11 hours ago, Jos said:

Any specific settings you are using in the SciTEUser.properties i should test with

Sorry for the delay.

No, I wiped everything for my test. Clean slate.  I may look at Windows update, some I ignored to avoid Windows nagging for upgrading, but maybe I am missing something that is causing this.

19 hours ago, argumentum said:

Tested x86 and x64 in a new PC.

Thanks for testing.

@Jos I'm thinking, since it works for you and @argumentum, maybe it's safe to put the files back up? See if any others hit a snag? Its seeming to be not a common issue so far. I'll see if a update will fix it first maybe. And also it would be curious for someone on Win. 7 to try it too.

@mLipok did you get a chance to try it yet?

Edited by donnyh13

Spoiler

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

if the user forgets to unblock the files downloaded

None of mine show blocked. So I don't think that's the issue.

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, donnyh13 said:

Its seeming to be not a common issue so far.

Unfortunately that leads to "it worked on my PC" kind of rhetoric. Other than:

The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem. 
The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem. 
x86: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
x64: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

it should work no matter what. ( I got the above when running for the 1st time and those are the links I used )
Maybe updating the VC_redist files would fix it. That would be a good thing to know.

Edited by argumentum