Issues with GUIImageList from desktop GUICtrlListView

Hey hello.

I came here with maybe too specific questions about uncommon things, but as people says, I don't lose anything trying to asking here :)

There's long time that I have a little "experimental" idea: Use windows desktop and it icon system like old videogame consoles (where "sprites" are used to draw things on screen, can be manipulated/animated to make interesting things happen). Some of that inspiration came from another experiments from demoscene.

Researching the possibilities of doing something like that (maybe not so intense) I found that the Windows Desktop uses a GuiListView to show and arrange icons (and of course, AutoIt provides UDF's for that :) ). So, I'm used that UDF to create dummy icons (not putting files on Desktop, just modifiying the "GUI layer" of desktop for put non-working icons), setting custom values like coordinates, name and Icon (from a list of loaded icons in the GuiListView).  As you can see in next image works well in Windows XP... even in Windows 95 (that's not the case from Windows Vista to 10, but I already posted another question here about that... anyways, for now I'm working that with a isolated XP machine... sigh).

Imagen

Another video doing an animation with that:

How I make that custom icons? Here:

$hWnd = ControlGetHandle("Program Manager", "", "[CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:1]")
$newItem = _GUICtrlListView_AddItem ( $hWnd, "TEST", 32 ) ; with an icon of index 32
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemPosition ( $hWnd, $newItem,  300, 300 ) ; set some example property. Put in X=300 Y=300

Okay, so the next phase was changing the icons with custom ones. And here starts the issues. As AutoIT help says, icons from GuiListView came from a loaded GUIImageList, which, seeing past images I conclude that it's already preloaded with some sort of most used icons (something like an icon cache?). But If I modify it (or create another GUIImageList and then put into the GuiListView) the icons became corrupted and replaced with blank ones. (can be reverted deleting IconCache.db, just like when windows shows wrong icons in desktop).

How I change icons? Here

$hImage = _GUIImageList_Create(48, 48, 5) ; create an image list for 48x48 icons
$newIcon = _GUIImageList_AddIcon($imageList, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 110) ; just adding a new icon in the image list
_GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($hWnd, $hImage, 0) ; $hwnd is the desktop hwnd

Another option as workaround for setting icons was getting the desktop GUIImageList, and modifiyng it directly. I otbtain a GUIImageList handle, but ... without any images inside! (That's strange beacuse, when I set desktop item icons without altering the GUIImageList, it applies correctly). And finally if I try to add new ones, it returns -1 with @error setted.

How I'm trying to get  desktop GUIImageList? Here.

$imageList = _GUICtrlListView_GetImageList ( $hWnd, 0 )
MsgBox(0,_GUIImageList_GetImageCount ( $imageList ), $imageList) ; getting image count and GUIImageList handle
$newIcon = _GUIImageList_AddIcon($imageList, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 110) ; adding icons without success

So, what is the question? There's something wrong I'm doing while trying to set the new icon set on desktop? Or desktop icons work in different way than the rest of the GuiListView's? Or there's something really stupid that I can't saw before that corrupts the icons? 

Also... if there's not known solution for that, do you have some idea for doing a workaround for that? Or another crazy idea? (Maybe putting real files instead dummy icons could be a solution ... a very slow one). Or even maybe (maybe not, I sure about that xD) do you want to help with this "experiment".

Thanks in advance, have a good day :)