OutlookEX UDF - Help & Support (II)

water

It stopped on the WinWaitClose("Message (HTML)") statement. If I comment out the $oExplorer = $oItem.Parent.GetExplorer statement then it continues execution on the closing of the window as it should. However, I am then back to the original problem that the email is not sent immediately as I want and I get the error.

Edited by SkoubyeWan

Strange.

The window is closed but Windows still thinks the window exists. That's even true when I check the Inspector via Outlook COM.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2024-07-28 - Version 1.6.3.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Looks like that's the way Outlook works. It keeps items as long as it thinks they are needed.I see no workaround at the moment.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2024-07-28 - Version 1.6.3.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Yes. I see what you are saying. While outlook stays open, it keeps thinking the window is open. My prior workaround is working well so far. That is, I re-open outlook just before the send and receive. Not elegant or efficient but effective.

Edited by SkoubyeWan

The Window still exists because it has been closed by the user but not yet been released by Outlook.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I think I got it. Replace the code after _OL_ItemDisplay with this lines:

Opt("WinTitlematchmode", 2)
While 1
    If WinGetState("Message (HTML)") = 5 Then ExitLoop
    Sleep(250)
WEnd
ConsoleWrite("Window closed!" & @LF)

_OL_ItemSendReceive($oOutlook, False)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemSendReceive Example Script", "Error sending/receiving mail. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemSendReceive Example Script", "Mail successfully sent/received!")

_OL_Close($oOutlook)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It does appear to work until I comment out the MsgBox saying that the message was successfully sent and received. Then I get an error from outlook that there are items in the outbox that will not be sent if outlook is exited. It appears that the msgbox causes a large enough delay so that the email gets sent before the script closes the connection to Outlook. So, I then tried adding a Sleep (25000) in place of the msgbox, and the script still works. I then added some code to make script wait until the outbox is empty, and then close outlook. This seems to work. Here is the code. I would welcome any improvements. Thanks for your help.

#include 
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug", 1)

Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF", "Error creating a connection to Outlook. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

$oItem = _OL_ItemCreate($oOutlook, $olMailItem, "", "", "", "BodyFormat=" & $olFormatHTML);, "Body=" & $BodyFinalWithLink, "Subject=" & $SubjectFinal, "To=" & $StaffEmail, "Importance=" & $olImportanceHigh)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemCreate Script", "Error creating mail. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

$oExplorer = $oItem.Parent.GetExplorer
_OL_ItemDisplay($oOutlook, $oItem)

While 1
Sleep(250)
WEnd

;Checks Outobox folder for items not yet sent
Global $aResult = _OL_FolderGet($oOutlook, "*\Outbox")
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_FolderGet Example Script", "Error accessing current folder. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
;_ArrayDisplay($aResult, "OutlookEX UDF: properties of the current folder")

;While Outbox has items, continue the script, checking every second
While $aResult[8] <> 0
$aResult = _OL_FolderGet($oOutlook, "*\Outbox")
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_FolderGet Example Script", "Error accessing current folder. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
;_ArrayDisplay($aResult, "OutlookEX UDF: properties of the current folder")
Sleep(1000)
WEnd

_OL_Close($oOutlook)

Strange.

According to MSDN "Calling the SendAndReceive method is synchronous". So the method only returns when all mails have been sent/received.

BTW: Where do you call _OL_ItemSendReceive in the code you posted above?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I didn't. I found that outlook automatically does a send and receive when the Send button is pressed, as long as outlook remains open long enough to accomplish the task. I had added the send and receive only because outlook would close when the Send button was pressed and I had to reopen outlook and then send the item. thanks to your code, outlook stays open, and my modification makes sure it doesn't try to close until after the outbox is empty.

As SendAndReceive is synchronous you can replace the code where you check the Outbox by a single call to _OL_ItemSendReceive.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That was what we tried before, but the script tries to close outlook before the send and receive is complete and i get an error from outlook informing me that there are items in my outbox and they will not be sent if outlook is closed. A timer then starts counting down. This was the reason for having the outbox check language added.

Edited by SkoubyeWan

Premature closure of Outlook should be prevented by

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That's correct. To solve this problem you need to call _OL_ItemSendReceive in addition.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Okay. I found the problem.

When this code is run as you proposed, the script ends trying to close before the outbox is empty. I receive an error message from outlook saying there are items in my outbox that have not been sent and if i close now they will not be sent. then a timer begins to count down. Apparently the timing between the send and receive and the saving of the email to the outbox is too quick so that the item is saved to the outbox effectively after the send and receive is already complete. By adding a Sleep(1000) before the send and receive is run, allowing time for the sent time to be posted to the outbox, the script performs correctly. Here is the finished script.

#include 
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug", 1)

Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF", "Error creating a connection to Outlook. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

$oItem = _OL_ItemCreate($oOutlook, $olMailItem, "", "", "", "BodyFormat=" & $olFormatHTML);, "Body=" & $BodyFinalWithLink, "Subject=" & $SubjectFinal, "To=" & $StaffEmail, "Importance=" & $olImportanceHigh)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemCreate Script", "Error creating mail. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

_OL_ItemDisplay($oOutlook, $oItem)

While 1
Sleep(250)
WEnd

sleep (1000)
_OL_ItemSendReceive($oOutlook, False)

_OL_Close($oOutlook)

I'm glad the problem could be solved. I have now a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes.

Looks like this information can only be gathered by trial and error. Google doesn't help much.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Glad to be of service :D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hey all,

I tried, and succeeded, to send a new email automatically.

Now i'm looking to use some 'add in' which is in the new email window, and cant find the way to access it.

I've tried to search how to access the ribbon/pane/tabs/.... but with no luck (Searched google, msdn, tried to figure out the outlook object model...)

Does some one knows what is the right way of doing it?

Actually the best as for me is to get access to the add in itself (i thought it will look like xml formatted with all 'children' attached to the 'add in' and such, is it?)

Thank you all!!

BTW: water, thanks A LOT for the OutlookEx, it really helped me get started the whole thing goin'.. :)

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

I've never used it before but it looks like you can access the installed add ins.

I'm not in my office at the moment. I will try again tomorrow.

Can you post the name of the add in and - if possible - which methods and properties the add in provides?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki