Report Help File Issues Here

BrewManNH

• Moderators

guinness,

The line break macro definitions seem a little oddly worded at the moment:

@CR             Carriage return, Chr(13); sometimes used for line breaks. 
@CRLF = @CR & @LF     Occasionally used for line breaks. 
@LF Line feed, Chr(10)    Typically used for line breaks.

They are all very vague (Sometime, occasionally, typically) and do not fit what I have always understood as the normal usage in the common OSs. Perhaps something like the following might be better:

@CR            Carriage return {Chr(13)} - Standard line break in Mac (OS <9) files
@CRLF = @CR & @LF    Standard line break in Windows files
@LF            Line feed {Chr(10)} - standard line break in Linux and Mac OS X+ files

M23

Edit: 14k! :party:

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

_GUICtrlTab_GetItem

_GUICtrlTab_SetItem($hTab, 0, "New Text", BitOR($TCIS_BUTTONPRESSED, $TCIS_BUTTONPRESSED), 2)

$hTab = GUICtrlCreateTab(2, 2, 396, 296, $TCS_BUTTONS)

In WinXP without $TCS_BUTTONS style effect is not visible

_GUICtrlTab_GetItemRectEx

MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Display rectangle: " & $sRect)

Must be repeated as _GUICtrlTab_GetItemRect() function.

_GUICtrlTab_SetItemState

If BitAND($iState, 1) Then $sText &= "Button Pressed" & @LF

If BitAND($iState, 2) Then $sText &= "Button Highlighted"

1 = $TCIS_BUTTONPRESSED

2 = $TCIS_HIGHLIGHTED

Edited by AZJIO

Is there any where in the help files that can be pointed to that mentions the fact that using -1 in, for example, "GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 20, 800, Default, "Arial")" points the function GUICtrlSetFont to the last created control? I know that I can do it this way, but I can't for the life of me find it in the help file that says that works the way we know it works.

I haven't had anyone question this practice, but if it ever comes up, I'd like to be able to point to the correct section of the help file that explains it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I personally don't use -1 anymore unless I have to (debugging reason,) but it does lead me to wonder how I learnt this?! If it were to be added, where would that be please?

Edit: And I would say using Default is more appropriate than -1.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I think using Default in its place would be even more confusing, although it does work correctly.

As to where to put it, I honestly have no clue where it would fit. Maybe a new FAQ.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I tried to draw interest to creating a new FAQ, but it received little response to what I had hoped.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I personally don't use -1 anymore unless I have to (debugging reason,) but it does lead me to wonder how I learnt this?!

Most of the help file's example scripts use -1 to refer back to the previously created control. I've also seen discussion on the forums about it, but nothing recently, where someone used -1 and another user asked about it, but I've never been able to find it documented. And as we know, if it's not documented, it's able to be changed at any time. ;)

BrewManNH,

AutoIt -> Function Reference -> Function Notes

When an optional parameter needs to be defined and is preceded by one or more optional parameters, the default value must be given. This may be "" for a string parameter and -1 for other types. Some functions like StringInStr or StringReplace require 0. See the corresponding optional parameter description.

Thanks AZJIO, that should mention the Default keyword.

UDF List:

Unfortunately, that references only a function's optional values, it doesn't reference control IDs or handles which are almost always required, and it doesn't reference that the previously created control can be back-referenced using -1. I'm pretty sure that I found out about it from the help file examples, and from posts on this forum that mentioned it. IMHO it still needs documentation somewhere that -1, in place of a control ID or handle, refers to the previously created one.

You realise that will be a massive task so help would be much appreciated. I'm also not convinced if this was intended by the Devs as it's not documented about the use of -1.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Well, it could be added to the Function reference notes. That way if anyone looks for it, it will at least be somewhere, and it shouldn't take more than a sentence in that section.

-1 has been a feature of the language longer than I've been here, I don't think its going to be changed.

I think you just do a Find+Replace and change:

The control identifier (controlID) as returned by a GUICtrlCreate... function.

To

The control identifier (controlID) as returned by a GUICtrlCreate... function, or -1 for the last created control.

Edit: And its definitely intentional. That doesn't happen magically, the devs have a variable somewhere storing the last created control id (which they probably need anyway for allocating the next one).

Edited by Mat

Not all are formatted like that though, especially the UDFs which can accept -1 as well. It's easier said than done, took me about 2/3 hours just to ensure the UDFs mentioned that a controlid or handle could be passed as a hWnd parameter. Not to mention that not all the UDFs can accept controlids e.g. _GUICtrlListView_Create.

UDF List:

OK, if I just did a global search and replace then that entry would have been wrong.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Guinness, I've committed it for the standard functions (r7640), feel free to undo it if you want.

I'm going to have a look at the UDF functions, and see if there is an easier way. I suspect the only way to really know is to check whether control ids are allowed is by looking at the function body for "If IsHWnd($hWnd) Then".