Active Directory UDF

water

In the first listing, there wasn't a "Computers" OU showing, which is why tried it with just the OU name in the function. "Computers" is a default OU created when Active Directory is loaded onto a DC which is why I was surprised to not see it on the listing in the first example. The jpg is a listing of the AD with all OUs showing. Here's what I get in _ArrayDisplay when I run the first example.

[1]|030 Accounts|OU=030 Accounts,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[2]|Domain Controllers|OU=Domain Controllers,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[3]|IT Administration|OU=IT Administration,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[4]|PVS|OU=PVS,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[5]|Workstations|OU=Workstations,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[6]|Workstations\Instructor PCs|OU=Instructor PCs,OU=Workstations,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

[7]|Workstations\Student PCs|OU=Student PCs,OU=Workstations,DC=030-Academic,DC=local

Most of the default OUs aren't showing in this list.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I checked our AD and the mystery is solved ;)

Function _AD_GetAllOUs does exactly what the name tells. It lists all OUs (Organizational Units) - but not CN (Containers). The LDAP queries the AD for "(objectCategory=organizationalUnit)".

Should I enhance the function so you can search for OU, CN or both?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2024-07-28 - Version 1.6.3.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I hadn't realized that before. I had to Google the difference between the 2 of them to figure it out. ;)

Without changing the current function, how would you go about listing the containers "CN=??" or the contents of a container with this UDF, or is it even possible? The only reason I ask is because when you create a new computer account, it (by default) goes into the Computers container, and there might be a case where I need to move a computer from there without knowing its name beforehand.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This should list all containers:

#include <AD.au3>
_AD_Open()
$aObjects = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("", "(objectCategory=container)", 2, "distinguishedName")
If @error > 0 Then
    MsgBox(64, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "No containers could be found")
Else
    _ArrayDisplay($aObjects, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1 - Containers")
EndIf

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2024-07-28 - Version 1.6.3.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

To get a list of all computers in container "Computers" I would try this:

#include <AD.au3>
_AD_Open()
$aObjects = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("CN=Computers,DC=030-Academic,DC=local", "(objectCategory=computer)", 2, "distinguishedName")
If @error > 0 Then
    MsgBox(64, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1", "No conputers could be found")
Else
    _ArrayDisplay($aObjects, "Active Directory Functions - Example 1 - Computes in container 'Computers'")
EndIf

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Yup, just figured that out myself, just had to basically change the OU= to CN= and put the correct filter in there, which I had somehow forgotten to add, and it all works good now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've been following the thread in help and support right now concerning Unjoining a machine from the domain. I had a curiosity question, but didn't want to hijack the thread. One of my customers has a very slow replication link between a couple of out of state DC's. This has caused issues in the past with deleting PCs from the domain and then quickly adding them back; when the outlying DC's finally catch up, they delete the PC again and cause a mess.

Currently when I disjoin a PC from AD I use WMI and loop through all DC's, deleting on each in turn. The script works, but is larger than I'd like. Just curious if there is an easier way to accomplish this with AD_UnJoinDomain; touching at least one DC in the main site and one in the outlying site.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

If you have a look at the code of function _AD_UnJoinDomain you will see that the function does the same. It uses WMI to unjoin the computer and disable the computer account.

Using the preceding _AD_Open you can decide which DC you want to connect to.

So I think it should be possible to shorten your script but I'm not sure it's worth the effort because the script you have now works too.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi HaeMHuK,

Here's my first try for an enhanced version of _AD_Example_GetOUTreeView.

I've added additional parameters so you now can pass the categories you want to get the numbers for (user, computer, group ...), a text including the number that should be displayed right to the OU name and the search scope (number of objects in the OU or number of objects in the complete sub-tree).

Please give it a try and tell me how you like the result.

Tested with the latest AutoIt Beta version 3.3.9.4.

<Code moved to the next post>

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Enhanced version. Allows select a single category (computer, user ..) by name or pass the complete LDAP query string.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I noticed one problem which will be fixed with the next version of the UDF.

If there are no objects in the OU you don't get 0 but "". That's a bug and will be fixed.

If you use $iAD_SearchScope = 2 the function searches the whole subtree for every OU - this might take some time.

If it's too slow I might change the code to a recursive approach.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 month later...

Got this @error message after trying to use _AD_Open.

Function _AD_Open encoutered a problem. @error = 1326, @extended = 0

And I could not find that error message in your help files or the forum.

Is this a combined error? (1,3,2 and 6) or am I just stupid? :D

Been trying to adjust your example script.

This is the top part of it before it fails.

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile_x64=..\Compilation\DeloitteADController.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#include <AD.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>

#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 262, 145, 193, 124)
GUICtrlCreateInput("Username", 112, 24, 121, 21)
GUICtrlCreateInput("Password", 112, 64, 121, 21, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT,$ES_PASSWORD))
$Username = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Username", 24, 24, 52, 17)
$Password = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Password", 24, 64, 50, 17)
$Login = GUICtrlCreateButton("Login", 24, 104, 75, 25)
$Cancel = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 160, 104, 75, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

$a = 0

While $a = 0
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
Case $Cancel
Exit
Case $Login
$a = 1
EndSwitch
WEnd

$sAD_UserIdParam = 0
$sAD_DNSDomainParam = 0
$sAD_PasswordParam = 0

_AD_Open($sAD_UserIdParam = ' & $Username & ', $sAD_PasswordParam = ' & $Password & ')
If @error Then Exit MsgBox(16, "Active Directory Example Script", "Function _AD_Open encountered a problem. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

Challenge accepted!

That's easy :D

Replace line

_AD_Open($sAD_UserIdParam = ' & $Username & ', $sAD_PasswordParam = ' & $Password & ')
with
_AD_Open($Username, $Password)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

No comment :D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

What you posted is just the description of the syxntax.

What returncode do you get when you use

_AD_Open($Username, $Password)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Which version of the UDF and which operating system do you run?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki